How to Care for Your Teeth During the Holidays
The holidays are upon us! What a whirlwind of a season, as we dash from one event to the next. Many of these events are full of rich foods and sweet treats, and there’s often no time to think about much beyond the next thing on the calendar. Whatever you do during the holidays, take care not to neglect your dental care. Here are some tips for keeping your teeth fresh, clean, and healthy, all the way into the new year!
- Make sure you’ve got healthy food in the mix. While you’re nibbling, munching, and feasting, intersperse healthy snacks with your decadent treats. Crunchy fruits and vegetables are great for your teeth, and so are cheese and whole grains.
- Take care not to overdo the sweets. This time of year, temptations are omnipresent! Popcorn balls, candy canes, and other sticky sweet treats are particularly bad for your teeth, but that doesn’t mean you have to forgo them entirely. Just stick to one dessert and then brush your teeth, to reduce your risk of tooth decay.
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. Cracking nuts, pulling out wine corks, opening packages, and all the other ways you can use your teeth instead of heading to the toolbox or kitchen drawer for a more suitable tool should be outlawed. The last thing you want to do this holiday season is end up with a broken tooth, so use your teeth only for eating and smiling.
- Drink plenty of water and keep your drinks light. Water is good for every system in your body, and it can help fill your stomach so that you don’t overeat. What’s more, it’s extremely helpful in washing away bacteria before plaque can form on your teeth. If you want to drink something other than water, steer clear of sugary beverages and choose drinks that are light-colored, as well. You’ll be doing your teeth a favor by keeping them clean and white.
- Stick to your routine. Brush your teeth at least twice a day, even if you’re on the go. Facilitate this by keeping a toothbrush and small tube of toothpaste handy at all times, in your purse, briefcase, or car, so that you can take care of your teeth even if you’re away from home.
- Don’t wait to fix any dental issues. Even if you’re out of town, don’t let a broken tooth or lost filling go without treatment. Call a local dental office for an emergency appointment; most dentists are prepared to accept visiting patients at this time of year.
- Schedule a cleaning for after the holiday season. You want to start the new year with a gorgeous smile and a healthy mouth, right? Go ahead and make your post-holiday checkup now, so that as soon as this hectic season draws to a close, you can get back into the swing of taking care of yourself.
When you’re ready to schedule your post-holiday dental check-up, choose the practice that was voted best dentist in NYC! At Park 56 Dental Group, we offer pediatric, prosthodontics, endodontics, oral surgery, Invisalign®, emergency, and sedation dentistry, all at the highest level of treatment. We serve the Midtown, Central Park, Upper East Side, Park Avenue, and all surrounding Manhattan and New York areas, with a patient-centered practice that has hours to fit your schedule. Schedule your complimentary consultation today by contacting us online or calling us at (212) 826-2322.
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Healthier Teeth
- Teeth Whitening
- Dental Health
- Dental Emergencies
- Dental Implants
- Root Canal
- Sedation Dentistry
- Dental Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Anxiety
- Gum Disease
- Bad Breath
- New York Dentist
- Cut out sugar
- General Dentistry
- Oral Health
- Oral Cancer
- Dry Mouth
- Gum Health