Why it’s Important to Have Your Teeth Professionally Cleaned Regularly
Routine dentist visits include an oral exam and professional teeth cleaning. Performed by a licensed and registered dental hygienist, cleanings remove stains and buildup to brighten and protect your smile.
Unfortunately, almost one-third of Americans forgo routine teeth cleanings, which the American Dental Association recommends getting at least once every six months. If you think brushing and flossing are just as good as professional cleanings, think again! Here’s what can happen if you skip your routine dentist visits.
- Increased risk of staining and cavities: Even if you’re diligent about at-home oral care, cavities can still develop. You need help clearing away tooth-staining, cavity-causing plaque and tartar that are nearly impossible to remove without professional tools.
- Greater chance of gum disease: Plaque and tartar can also build up along the gum line, irritating this soft tissue and causing periodontal pockets to form. If you never have your teeth professionally cleaned, bacteria, food particles, and plaque could collect in these pockets, further irritating your already-sensitive gums.
- Untreated bad breath: Hard-to-reach bacterial deposits may cause bad breath. You can temporarily mask the unpleasant odor with mints, gum, or mouthwash, but the only way to tackle this problem head-on is to have your teeth professionally cleaned.
- Undiagnosed oral health problems: Some dental emergencies occur quickly and noticeably, including traumatic injuries, loose crowns, and fractured teeth. Others develop more slowly, such as cavities, abscesses, and oral cancer. With routine dental exams, you can receive an early diagnosis and begin treatment for any developing health problems.
- Complications during pregnancy: It’s more important than ever to see a dentist when you’re pregnant. Because of unprecedented hormone fluctuations, you have an even higher risk of cavities, gum disease, tooth erosion, and other problems if you skip your cleanings as an expecting mother.
- Risks to your overall health: Neglecting routine oral care can put other aspects of your health at risk. For instance, the oral bacteria associated with gum disease are linked to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, respiratory infections, rheumatoid arthritis, and other conditions. Protect your overall well-being by keeping your teeth and gums healthy with professional cleanings.
- Potential tooth loss: If allowed to progress, gum disease can eventually weaken the bone structure that holds your teeth in place. In severe cases, your teeth may even start to fall out. Don’t let it come to this! Get your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year to maintain a healthy, beautiful smile.
Even if it’s been years since you’ve been to the dentist, it’s never too late to go in for a dental cleaning! The sooner you commit to taking better care of your smile, the better chance you have of avoiding the complications outlined above.
Are you looking for the best dentist in NYC? Come to Park 56 Dental! Our spa-like office, caring staff, and experienced dental professionals make going to the dentist a pleasure. Contact us online or call (212) 826-2322 to schedule your first visit with us today.